Sunday, February 14, 2010

Un-Valentine's Day

Max Said

At some point in our history together, we sort of grew out of most of the "Hallmark" holidays.  Valentine's Day certainly qualifies as one of these, but it's heart is in the right place, as it were :)

I certainly have no issues with a holiday that celebrates love, but I guess what worries me is that it is only one day.  It places a lot of pressure on couples to create a perfect romantic moment on demand, while fighting for dinner reservations and paying inflated prices for roses.

It seems far more sensible to celebrate love every day and to allow romantic moments to happen organically.  Surprising you with a beautiful bouquet out of the blue always seems more fun and meaningful.  The very rare moment when we find ourselves actually alone at home for a few moments.  Planning a weekend trip away for just the two of us.  These are the ongoing things that we do to keep the flame burning.

I am woefully uninspired in the blogging arena tonight, so I am going make this one short.

I do love you tremendously and am glad that you are my eternal Valentine.



Denise Said

We outgrew it, yes, but I still like it. What can I say I'm a hopeless romantic. I've always liked the idea of Valentine's Day, however as you said, I think it puts too much pressure on people to create a magical TV moment or something saccharine. I know I've fallen for it. There have been years that I was very upset because you weren't into it and then I started putting up reminder notices (on the back of the toilet) that Valentine's Day was 2 weeks away....1 week away.....2 days away....It was supposed to be funny of course, but I wonder if that it just made you feel bad. You work your best romantically without being under pressure. Isn't that true of creativity in general?

We were just talking about this today. Creativity thrives in a relaxed quiet place. What about our lives right now is relaxed and quiet -except midnight when we're exhausted? I know there will be a time again when the kids are grown when the creativity in our marriage can resume. Right now we are focused primarily on the children, our family, our work, and we squeeze us in here and there. I'm glad we've had so many years together to hold us over. You always tell me, when I worry the romance is gone, that you never worry about that and that it's always there - it just needs space and time. You're always right.

Will you be my Valentine?

No comments:

Post a Comment