Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our new blog...

Dearest Denise,

So here we go... We have been looking for a way to share what we are about with the world so we have decided to start a blog about our life and relationship.

My hope is that this is an organic way for us to translate the often intangible things that have made our marriage so wonderfully succesful, joyful and nurturing into the realm of the left-brained. I have been contemplating how to do this for some time now. The men on my MDI team often look to me for input on what it is that makes a successful marriage tick and I have equally as often been rather perplexed as to what to tell them.

I know that it comes out of an unwavering committment to making our marriage what we want it to be. While there is certainly magic at work in our deep connection, there is a huge amount of hard work on ourselves and our relationship there as well.

I know, while it will sound like a cliche, that keeping our sense of humor at the forefront is an important element. Being able to laugh at ourselves and one another in a loving way has brought us through many difficult times.

I know that it comes from a desire to grow. We have both always looked to grow as individuals and at the same time looked to bring the fruit of this personal growth back into the relationship.

I know that looking inward and following our hearts has never failed us. In so many ways not allowing outside influences, outside ideas of the way things should look, to affect us and our relationship and parenting choices has served us very well.

So, that is what I know for now. As with all things we do together, my love, I look forward to this written journey together.

Love, Max



Dear Max,



I'm a bit nervous starting a blog. Usually when I write it's not for the world to read, but to a specific friend. As you said - here we go. So why not give it a try?

Hey! First things first I just realized this is a great way for me to get love letters from you again! This wasn't an alterior motive at all from doing this blog, but I'll take whatever perks I can get. Your many love letters and poems from the early years are stashed away for safe keeping and re-surface every few years, when I'm cleaning out stuff, for me to re-read. I cherish those early words of yours. The very makings of the foundation of us.

You have always been able to put into words so clearly and eloquently (it's great to be married to an English Lit. Major for the reason that he has a storage of wonderful words at his disposal all the time - a word master) how you feel about me and what you think about our relationship. You've patiently helped me time and again to explain the feelings that I have and can't put into words. So it seems appropriate now as we reach a new crossroad to try to put into words, not on paper anymore, but on a computer (oh how you drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century!) how we've stayed married, and happy, for almost 23 years. Our marriage is in the throes of making another leap. It happened 12 years ago and now here we go again! Here's to us and making something together, besides another kid!

I love you,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment